Friday, October 19, 2012

Jefferson Ocean

The Wine and Cheese Place is the only place 
you will find it in St. Louis as we are the #1 Jefferson Bourbon account!

Jefferson Bourbon Ocean Aged at Sea

We did our raffle and our winner is
Ethan R. -- Congratulations!!







Here is more info from Patrick at Bourbon and Banter
“Tonight is a good night. No. Tonight is a great night!”

That’s what was running through my head as I sat down to write my Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon Review. I was, in all honesty, as excited as a grade schooler watching the minute hand on a clock wind down the final minutes til Summer vacation. I was finally going to taste the almost mythical Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon. The bourbon that has occupied my mind ever since I heard rumors of it last year.

Jefferson’s “Ridiculously Small Batch” bourbons have always occupied a special place in my heart. It was the first brand of bourbon that my wife bought for me. It was a sign that despite her lack of interest in drinking bourbon she could still be trusted with making important purchasing decisions. So when I heard that Jefferson’s was coming out with something truly unique and special I was all ears.

Trey Zoeller showing who’s the master of bourbon at sea.

I started digging around on the web and learned all I could about the so called “Ocean” bourbon and called around to my local connections to see if I had a chance to actually get my hands on a bottle. When you hear that only 600 bottles are going to be released you’ve got to put your game face on and call in some favors. Little did I know that I would get a unique opportunity to be one of the first to sample and review the “Bourbon Unicorn” as I’ve come to call it.

I received my sample last week from the kind folks at McLain & Kyne and I’ve kept it under lock and key since then.(Special thanks to Trey and his team for allowing me the privilege to enjoy an early sample of their hard work.) 

Trey Zoeller collecting the first pitcher of Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon.

I’m sure many of you have read up on Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon already but here’s a little more information direct from the source:

Trey carries on the tradition of his ancestors, the McLains and the Kynes, who both have roots deep in the bourbon industry dating back to the late 18th and 19th centuries. The Jefferson’s Bourbon brand portfolio, which is distributed in 46 states and 9 countries, consists of four “Ridiculously Small Batch” spirits: Jefferson’s Bourbon, Jefferson’s Reserve, Jefferson’s Presidential Select and Jefferson’s Rye. In the age where small batch bourbons are made from 200-300 bottles in big distilleries, Trey knows good things come in small batches. He carefully chooses from no more than 8-12 barrels to deliver a unique, yet consistent flavor profile for each of his four whiskies.

This summer, Trey will introduce Jefferson’s Ocean-Aged Bourbon to his line of Ridiculously Small Batch whiskeys. The brand’s new addition is blended in Kentucky, aged in barrels for almost four years on a 126-foot ship, and bottled at a robust 88 proof (44% ABV). Trey was curious about what effects temperature changes, salt air, and continuous rocking of the sea would have on bourbon’s aging process. The result of the experiment is a dark and rich bourbon which rivals whiskeys aged for much longer. There are only 600 bottles of the rare product available and they’re going to be released nationally.
Logo Bourbon & Banter

No comments: